East St. Paul represented at AMM Conference
Posted: November 30, 2015
During the convention, East St. Paul officials met with the RCMP and brought forward a number of issues which have been of concern over the past year namely, staffing levels, visibility in the community and snowmobile enforcement.
At this annual convention, delegates voted on 36 resolutions. One requested that AMM lobby the Province of Manitoba to rebate all of the Provincial Sales Tax paid by municipalities passed with a 93 percent majority. That issue was raised at the Provincial Leaders’ Debate held on the last day of the convention. The first Provincial Leaders' debate for the upcoming April 2016 election was moderated by CJOB’s Richard Cloutier. Premier and NDP Leader Greg Selinger, Progressive Conservative Leader Brian Pallister and Liberal Leader Rana Bokhari each shared their vision.
Also on the last day of the convention, members of the Provincial Cabinet took questions from delegates on a wide variety of issues. Ministers on hand included: Selinger, Infrastructure and Transportation Minister Steve Ashton, Finance Minister Greg Dewar, Health Minister Sharon Blady, Municipal Government Minister Drew Caldwell, Agriculture, Foods and Rural Development Minister Ron Kostyshyn, and Conservation and Water Stewardship Minister Tom Nevakshonoff.
Aside from R.M. delegates, East St. Paul was proud to have Kildonan-St. Paul MP, Hon. MaryAnn Mihychuk bring greetings on behalf of the federal government during the opening ceremonies. It was another indication of how AMM's strong working relationship with municipalities and other levels of government are the envy of similar organizations across Canada.
The AMM convention provided several learning opportunities in breakout sessions. Sessions attended by the R.M. of East St. Paul Council included:
- Manitoba Communities' Demographic Future: The Way Ahead, presented by Wilf Falk, Chief Statistician of Manitoba
- Waste Management Facilities Regulation, presented by Tracey Braun, Director of Environmental Approvals Branch, Manitoba Conservation and Water Stewardship; Ashley Keep, Solid Waste Management Coordinator and Cory Switzer, Environmental Engineer, Environmental Approval Branch;
- Working Together: The AMM and Municipal Government Joint Technical Advisory Committee to Streamline Conditions of Subdivision Approval presented by Kari Schulz, MCIP, Planner, Community and Regional Planning, Manitoba Municipal Government;
- The theme of this year’s convention was Creating Legendary Leadership and three exceptional keynote speakers shared their stories and experience;
- Mike Abrashoff, former U.S. Navy Commander of the USS Benfold. As the most junior commanding officer in the U.S. Navy’s Pacific fleet and in just 12 months, he took a ship plagued by low morale, high turnover and abysmal performance evaluation and turned it into the ship ranked No. 1 in performance. He is the author of It's Your Ship;
- Ken Coates, is the Director of the International Centre for Northern Governance and Development. He brings a deep understanding of past and present realities together with compelling ideas about Canada's future and the role of municipalities as the front lines of Canada's future;
- Simon T. Bailey, former sales director for the Disney Institute, he teaches influencers how to improve themselves and change the world. He is the author of seven books, including his newest title, Shift Your Brilliance.