ESP Mayor, Councillors, and CAO attend Municipal Officials Seminar in Winnipeg
Posted: April 7, 2015
- How to Make the Most of Meetings with the Province: Linda McFadyen, former Deputy Minister for Intergovernmental Affairs for the Province of MB, provided delegates with an overview of how and more importantly when in the legislative cycle, to engage political staff and elected officials with issues which require legislative changes or funding.
- Recruiting, Retaining & Recognizing Volunteers: Judith Cameron of Volunteer Manitoba provided delegates with a presentation on the three crucial areas to bring out the best in volunteer involvement and participation: recruiting, retaining and recognizing. She also discussed effective strategies for creating a successful volunteer program.
- Community Policing Costs: Karen Lambert, the Director of Contract Policing for Manitoba Justice provided an overview how policing costs are distributed in Manitoba, who pays, and what is contributing to the rise of policing costs across the province.
- Manitoba Association of Fire Chiefs: Martin Haller, (President) and Ben Vanderzwaag (Director) of the Manitoba Association of Fire Chiefs (MACF) provided an overview of their organization and the benefits to the member Fire Chiefs, Deputy Fire Chiefs, and their municipalities. The MAFC works in conjunction with local, provincial, and federal governments to enhance emergency services to the citizens of Manitoba. The seminar included a look at the process of making an MPI claim when municipal fire departments attend to a motor vehicle collision.
- Defamation and the Defence of Qualified Privilege: Greg Tramley of the law firm McCandless Tramley provided a description of the risks of committing slander and/or defamation as they may relate to elected officials. After citing several case histories it became clear that potentially slanderous words alone did not automatically constitute defamation but that the circumstances of the moment were also a factor when judging if comments were slanderous or defamatory.
- The Unionized Workplace: Negotiating and Administrating Collective Agreements: Stephen Beernaert, Associate with Thompson Dorfman Sweatman LLP discussed employer rights and responsibilities when dealing with a union and in collective bargaining. Discussion also took place around considerations for employers in negotiating and administering collective bargaining agreements.