Local Notices

View Notices  |  Archived Notices

Bells of Peace at Centennial Plaza

Posted: November 12, 2018

 

Bells of Peace at Centennial Plaza

 

The RM of East St. Paul hosted a Bells of Peace Ceremony in Centennial Plaza on Nov. 11, 2018 to mark the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War.

 

Mayor Shelley Hart welcomed about 75 guests to the ceremony, which featured 10 cadets and students who rang the Centennial Plaza Bell 100 times – 10 times apiece – to acknowledge the anniversary. East St. Paul Couns. Charles Posthumus, Brian Duval, Orest Horechko and Carla Devlin were all present for the ceremony.

 

"It was an honour for the RM to participate in the Bells of Peace ceremony at Centennial Plaza on Remembrance Day marking this historical date,” Mayor Hart said.

 

The Centennial Plaza Bell is the former St. Catherine Anglican Church Bell and was donated to the RM by Rosie Jackson, who became the owner of the bell when she purchased the church building and turned it into Sky’s the Limit Montessori School.

 

The bell was relocated to Centennial Plaza, built to mark the RM’s 100thanniversary in 2016. The bell is older than the RM, dating back to 1915, and was rung every Sunday and for special community events such as weddings, funerals and sometimes at midnight on New Year’s Eve. 

 

Residents of the community knew something significant was happening when they heard the bell ringing. 

It is entirely probable that the bell rang out on November 11, 1918, marking the end of the First World War.

Piper Kirby McRae played Amazing Grace and Sgt. Al Mills performed the Legion Act of Remembrance.

 

To read Mayor Hart’s speech, click here.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright © 2014 Rural Municipality of East St. Paul   Website by: MunicipalWebsites.ca